Thursday, January 10, 2008

What is an American?!

There are things that Americans do that one could say are typically American, such as speaking to strangers in the grocery store. American students generally say nothing when the teacher asks a questions. Only American men wear khaki pants and sandals to restaurants, and only American women wear shorts no matter how heavy set they are. These are some things Americans do. Still, what IS an American? When the World Trade Centers were attacked Germany's chancellor proclaimed that, "We are all Americans!" But, what is an American? I am an American, because that is what my father is, and I have a United States passport. Does that make me an American? Is someone from South America an American? "Americans" have claimed themselves as Americans in a sense to conquer all of the western hemisphere.

American Cheese

http://drake.marin.k12.ca.us/staff/doherty/slampoems.htm

2 comments:

Britt said...

Maria i hope i did not offend you in class today when i explained what i felt was a true American. Try and read my blog maybe it would make more sense. Good luck in class and if i can be of any help let me know

Brittany

anna marie said...

This is completely irrelevant to the rest of your post (although you do present a pretty accurate portrait of some Americans), and I'm sorry... but what is the name of the artist who painted the picture in your layout? His art made up the wallpaper in a house I grew up in and my inability to remember his name is driving me mad! Thank you.